Friday, October 11, 2013

Please Welcome Guest Author Michele Stegman



Ever since I read Kathleen Woodiwiss's The Wolf and the Dove I have loved "Conquest" books--books set during the Norman Conquest of England. I decided I wanted to write one. But when I heard an editor exclaim that she hoped she never had to read another Conquest book, I decided to make my Conquest book as different as I could.
          The first thing I did was to write down every cliché I could think of such as the hero being a big, tough, never-defeated-in-battle Norman knight. And the heroine having to marry this knight to protect her people and her land. Then I turned them all around.
          My hero is a Saxon. One of the conquered. He has to marry a Norman woman to save his land and his people.  He is not a big, brawny knight, either, but he is certainly no wimp.
          My hero, Ranulf, was studying for the priesthood before becoming lord of Etherby, so he is a virgin. He is totally clueless when it comes to women. My heroine, Madeline, has to seduce him, not the other way around. And you know that old bathtub scene where the hero sees the heroine taking a bath? I turned that around, too. She catches him in the tub--on purpose.
          I call Conquest of the Heart a light-hearted romp through the dark ages. Yes, it is set during a dark and violent time, but there is a lot of humor in the book.I always enjoy trying to make my books as different as I can.
 

Michele Stegman has loved history all her life. She lives in an 1840's log cabin, spins, weaves, makes her own soap, and sleeps in a 200 year old bed with her husband, Ron, who inspires all her heroes. Please visit Michele Stegman's website or find her on Facebook or Twitter at Twitter.com/Michele Stegman. Michele has been hosted by Victoria Roder.




7 comments:

Victoria Roder said...

Michele, I just heart that Conquest of the Heart received 5 out of 5 stars and a glowing review form Romantic Historical Lovers Reviews.
Congratulations!

Big Mike said...

Welcome, Michele. Those 5 star reviews always make the heart tingle.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Liz Fountain said...

Welcome, Michele. Your piece reminds me that inside any cliche is a fun and original scene, character, or story waiting to get out. I enjoy mixing things up, too.

Liz

Julie Lence said...

Hi Michele: Love the heroine catching the hero in the tub! Good one.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Flipping the roles is a great idea, and certainly plausible. Congratulations on the five stars and the adulations.

Sounds really clever.

Mark said...

Nice post, Michele. I've never been caught in the tub by a woman before. But I became a serious swimmer in my mid fifties -- the first time I wore a Speedo to LA Fitness, the women working out in the pool circulated a petition to ban them on anyone over the age of 35. This probably doesn't bode well for my becoming the model for a romance novel hero.

Rita Bay said...

Love the concept and the period. While there were a few nobles over six feet Edward Longshanks, the Plantagenets, and Henry VIII, most were MUCH shorter. Nature or Nurture (or lack thereof)? Who knows. Best of luck. Rita