Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Own Little World




I have a t-shirt the reads “I live in my own little world. It’s okay, they know me there.” It’s meant to be funny, but there’s a lot of truth in the statement.
I know it seems a little weird, but I love spending time in the worlds I create. And a lot of writers feel the same way. One of my favorite authors once thanked his wife and daughters for allowing him to spend so much time with his imaginary family while he was writing his novel.
Creating a fictional world is like living in an alternate universe. One of the things I’ve learned as a writer is that I need to honor the time spent in a make believe place with make believe people. The more time I spend in the little world of my creation, the more real I  can make that world and the characters that people it  for the reader.
This can be difficult in today’s face-paced on-line tuned-in world. It’s easy to get caught up in reading tweets and status updates and e-mails. These things are important to a working writer. Equally important is shutting the door and letting yourself dream.
I have to remind myself that staring out the window is part of the job. To imagine is what I do, and the better I imagine the more deeply human the characters that come from imagining. If I don’t honor time out for dreaming, I’m left feeling anxious and bereft. I’m learning to listen to the signals. I’m learning to carve out time each day to spend in my own little world. After all, they know me there.

'Til next time
~Ute~


 

4 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

So true, Ute.

I feel one of those creative streams coming on now, but I'm in the middle of line edits. So I've begun writing (in cursive) the scenes, conversations and character names that I want to remember later when I can let go and expand the world I really live in.

Ute Carbone said...

I do a lot of longhand canoodling, too. In fact, I write most of my first drafts longhand. There's something about the pen on paper connection..

Big Mike said...

You're right. We make characters we chose to love or hate, images that smooth our wounded spirit or piss us off, what ever we want, depending on our mood. What more could you want.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Liz Fountain said...

I finally got back to a long-delayed MS this weekend, and yes, it was a bit like Norm coming back to Cheers. They do know me there, and I know them - these characters - although they seem to surprise me each time I visit, too.

Thanks! Liz