Tuesday, October 22, 2013

In a Sea of Writers how can YOU get noticed?



This dilemma has invaded my thoughts from time to time. With the publishing field shifting right below our very feet with its expediential growth in the number of writers reaching the market place with relative ease, how can one small town writer find a voice in the larger world?
To try to answer the question, I decided to go and look for ideas from well-established writers that I admire. From them I’ve compiled a top eight list of their ideas on the subject.
8. Never open a book with weather. (Well, that’s easy. I haven’t done that yet.)
7. Keep exclamation marks under control. According to one author you are only allowed one or two per 100,000 words! (There, I’ve used mine up for today.)
6. Don’t bother with prologues. (Don’t complain to me if you don’t like this one. I’ve used them myself, but I’m just quoting other published others here! Whoops, now I’m out of exclamation marks, darn.)
5. Never use the word suddenly. (Guess who had to take out 20 plus suddenly from their latest work.)
4. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters. (I’m really guilty here. Love, love detail, apparently too much. Almost as much as adverbs, it seems.)
3. Never use a verb other than “said” to carry dialogue. (Boy, am I guilty here! And now I can’t use exclamation marks for a long, long time.)
2. Write the best story, best characters, best everything you can and re-write, re-write, re-write…
1. With all the hard work in the world, you will still need luck. (I’m buying a lucky rabbits foot.)


Have a happy writing day everyone! (Ha, one last one for old times’ sake.)


Best,


January Bain/Storyteller/Forever Series

6 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

All good. I recently read HOW TO SELL YOUR BOOK ON AMAZON. What stood out was tags: key word tags, which are strong, catchy and informative, but most important, don't waste 10% of your inside-the-book content with your dedication, prologue, acknowledgements and index.

Amazon allows shoppers to read the beginning of the book, so the How to… author advises against using those pages for things that can easily go in the back. The front should include copyright info and a fast start.

Rita Bay said...

Great points, January, though I don't use "said" in dialogue. A personal thing. AND I like prologues as a reader and writer. Love epilogues, too. Rita

Big Mike said...

Wait a minute, wait a minute, I DO all that!!!!!! Well except for one. How come I'm not rich (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

January Bain said...

Thanks for commenting everyone!

Jude Johnson said...

My red-rimmed mouth grinned broadly with newly bleached teeth as I muttered, "Wow! She's right!"

*Winking*.

Thanks for making me laugh and wince a bit, January.

~Jude

Liz Fountain said...

I don't think I've ever opened a book with weather, but now it feels like a dare... maybe a dialogue about weather with lots of "shouted," "introjected," and "exclaimed"!!!!!

Liz