Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fresh Starts and Turning Inwards

Fresh Starts and Turning Inwards
by Annabel Aidan

I’m so thrilled that my post day falls on Halloween!  That’s my big day of the year, the day when I feel most connected to both the past and the future.

In the old Celtic agricultural calendar, Samhain was a time of honoring the ancestors, ending the agricultural year, and turning inwards for the winter.  A time when the wheel of the year turns to contemplation and planning.

I like to plan next year’s garden.  I like to see where I’ve come and where I’m going.  And, most importantly, where I WANT to go.  Where do I want to take my writing this year?  What new challenges wait?

There’s nothing interesting about writing the same book over and over.  Every book should be a fresh challenge, a new stretch, a way to grow your skills.

This past year has been one of intense financial pressure, especially for the writing. Writing is how I make my living, how I pay the bills.  I have to show up at the page every day, whether I feel like it or not and deliver.  Sometimes it’s the work I want and love -- that’s my first 1K of the day.  Other times, it’s what I’m paid to write.  It’s exciting and wonderful, but also exhausting.

And I want fresh challenges this year.  I have some projects in the pipeline, that, if the contracts come through, will be professionally, personally, and financially satisfying.

But I have to plan, I have to visualize, and, most importantly, I have to be willing to show up at the page every day, even on the tough ones, to make it happen.

The house is decorated, I can’t wait to distribute candy, and then, with a fire in the fireplace, candles lit, and music on, I will plan the coming year.


--Annabel Aidan is a full-time writer publishing under a half a dozen names in both fiction and non-fiction.  Her paranormal romantic suspense novel for Champagne is ASSUMPTION OF RIGHT, combining witchcraft, theatre, and politics.  Website:
http://www.devonellingtonwork.com/annabelaidan.html.


4 comments:

Mary McCall said...

Annabel! What a wonderful post! It is time to reflect, reorganize and edit goals
While you're giving out candy, I'll be baking and giving out"poor souls cakes" to the homeless... An old medieval tradition. I can't wait either.
And I'll be soooo glad to finish my move in early December. Hopefully I'll then be able to refocus and reorganize my life.
Have a blessed and fun November!

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

"With great success comes great responsibility." Your discipline and dedication will see you through.

Diana Green said...

It's nice to encounter another person who honors the traditions of Samhain along with all the fun of Halloween.

I too use this turning of the seasons to set my course and move forward with clear intention.

Thank you for a lovely post.

Liz Fountain said...

I love the idea of being connected to past and future. Holidays (holy days) and rituals from so many traditions are all about this. I plan to meditate on this during our lengthening evenings, tonight and on to solstice.

Thanks - Liz