Saturday, September 21, 2013

Is it Frightening, Creepy, Chilling or Bloodcurdling?



With Thirty-three days left until Halloween, I am on the hunt to find a good scary movie. I am learning that what makes a ‘good’ scary movie is subjective. A few of the synonyms for the word scary are, frightening, creepy, chilling, terrifying, bloodcurdling or intimidating. What catches your idea of scary, is it the suspense or the gore?

I asked some of my co-workers to name a movie that frightened, terrified or scared them. The answers were varied. Some of the titles were, Ben, Saw, Sleeping with the Enemy, Don’t be Afraid of the Dark, The Sixth Sense, and Carrie.

Statistically, the top five biggest sellers for a series of ‘scary’ movies are:

1. The Exorcist Series
2. Saw Series
3. Scream Series
4. Friday the 13th
5. Nightmare on Elm Street

The top five individual best sellers in ticket sales only
1. Jaws
2. The Exorcist
3. The Sixth Sense
4. House of Wax (original)
5. Psycho

Based on a friend’s recommendation I rented Evil Dead, hoping for an awesome story line. I was disappointed, I consider Evil Dead a ‘Gore Fest’ not a good story line. Like beauty ‘scary’ is an individual interpretation.  Please share a scary movie you liked, one that bothered you, or one you hated.  

Victoria Roder

5 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Gore is out. I'm immune to gore. Gore is what's left on the dinner plate.

I like sudden shock like House of Wax and Psycho. I saw both back when they came out. (Notice my generation does NOT say "back in the day."

Stephen King was interviewed recently for his sequel to The Shining. He says it's harder to scare people these days.

Reason could be that the news is scary enough.

Big Mike said...

The Thing (2nd version)

BM

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Mike, did we ever find out what the THING was?

Liz Fountain said...

Psycho still scares me even though I've seen it many times. It takes a masterful hand to create suspense in a viewer who already knows what will happen.

Even though much of it is kind of cheesy, the Exorcist still freaks me out, too.

I can't even watch Jack Nicholson go after Shelly Duval in the Shining, and if someone mentions it, I make them be quiet. That's how scary that film is to me.

It's not a horror film, but for instilling a sense of psychological chill, I'd have to put The Manchurian Candidate on the list.

How fun to remember these great works - thanks!
Liz

Mark said...

My Best Friend's Wedding scared me stiff. What can I say? I suffer from gamophobia .