Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why Read and Write Romance Novels?


Why write and devour romance novels? Simple, it always ends happily. Apparently I’m not alone according to a recent survey of more than a thousand readers. The poll was an eye-opener for me. I discovered that 81% of the readers polled choose romance as their favorite genre. Wow! That blew me away. A further 80% bought from Amazon. And nearly 58% had not been in a bricks and mortar store in the last year. Contemporary Romance came in first place of the genres, followed closely by Historical Romance. Facebook and an author’s website were their main way to discover new authors which I found interesting and helpful. If you want to know more about this here’s the link:


I read Romances because I’m a sucker for a happy ending as it makes everything right with my world. And it turns out I’m certainly not alone. All the trial and tribulations along the way for the heroine just add to the suspense of how will the author make it all work out? I’m fascinated by how many twists and turns one novel can contain. I don’t ever want it to be predictable, though I like a sense of the characters being familiar. And even though I know it’s going to work out in the end, still, I want to be caught up in the story so much that I’m uncertain on how it possibly could work out because the magic of storytelling is a definite obsession for writer.

Why do you read or write romances?  I’d love to know!

January Bain 

STORYTELLER
 www.ChampagneBooks.com
Forever Man
Forever Woman
Forever Clan
Forever Angel (coming October 7, 2013)


5 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Your wet blanket here: I'm more interested in unpredictable endings. Satisfying is the right way to describe them. Just finished a book where a Solomon style ending was the solution. In life there are always compromises. Perfection is either illusive or impossile. Certainly fleeting. When everyone lives happily ever after, real satisfaction is lost. We have to work for our happy endings.

Nikki said...

Uh-oh, another wet blanket. My faves are mysteries, especially the ones I have to read twice to find the hidden clues. If there's a touch of romance, with or without a HEA, so much the better.

Ute Carbone said...

Ah, but romance readers LOVE their love stories! I like an HEA, or maybe more a 'happy for now' ending. It's a fairy tale thing, I guess. Real life doesn't always end well. But in stories, trouble can be overcome, the dragons can be slain, true love will out and goodness will prevail.

linda_rettstatt said...

I was once told in reference to my romance novels that I tend to write 'perfect men'. While we know that's fiction at its finest (sorry guys), I think readers (and I) read romance novels because we want to believe in the happy ending and we enjoy the conflict the characters go through to get there. Even if I know they'll end up together, I enjoy their journey.

January Bain said...

Thanks for commenting! best, January