Sunday, July 7, 2013

Writing, Marketing, Publishing

Yo ho! Yo ho! The writer's life for me.

At the moment I have two works in progress with two different publishers in mind plus one prize winning young adult book which I tried marketing but met with rejection for various reasons. Two publishers suggested they didn't want a wholesome book, they want vampires, supernatural and zombies. Sorry folks, that's not what I write.

The book is the first one I ever wrote back in the eighties after returning from Iran. My first rejection was a very nice letter from a publisher suggesting that I understood adolescents and obviously knew about Iran, but the protagonist was a little too snooty for them. I put the book in a box and left it there for thirty years. Then two years ago, I had someone write it onto a zip drive for me. Following that, I submitted it to the FWA competition and the Amazon Breathrough Novel Awards.

After letting said book linger in the murky cloud for two years after its day of glory at the Royal Palm Literary Awards banquet, I suspended my own rule and decided to self-publish. As part of a prize for being a quarter-finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel competition in 2012, I received a free proof book from Create Space. Still I hesitated to follow through to publish it myself.

This week, I bit the bullet and went for it. First, the process is far easier than I ever imagined. It is free if you know what you are doing. They provide an amazing array of templates for book covers and step-by-careful step instructions on everything else.

You can now purchase "Escape from Iran" from Kindle and soon from all the other regular sources.

This is not to say I will suddenly self-publish everything I write. Far from it. I have confidence in "Escape from Iran," because of the prizes it garnered. With traditional publishing, the "prize" is the acceptance of the editors and the professional level of presentation of the finished product.

For my next foray into self-publishing I am going to try putting Bob's (spouse) book, Oliver's Rubaiyat on via Smashwords.

In the meantime, twenty pages of my dystopian sci-fi are due on Tuesday evening for our regular critique group. They are the folks who keep me straight and tell me where to place commas.

Veronica Helen Hart, www.veronicahhart.com, is the author of "The Prince of Keegan Bay," sequel reaching final stages, Champagne Book Group, "Elena - the Girl with the Piano," Double Edge Press, and now "Escape from Iran."

2 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I've been looking forward to this book for a long time. Can't wait to suck it into my Kindle in time for my birthday,

Veronica Helen Hart said...

Thank you, Julie.