Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Joy of Creating My Own Website



This spring I signed my first book contract, for space western, New Sion, which is coming out in October. Of course I was thrilled. This was a moment I’d been working towards for some time. Unfortunately, my excitement was soon tinged with trepidation. A book release means marketing and promotion, two things my introvert nature does not warm to.  

After reading lots advice on the subject, I decided to embrace the philosophy of “do a few things well, rather than many things poorly”. With a background in visual arts and design, I decided website creation was one of the things I could do well. So I launched into the process.

The time I spent putting my website together was a true pleasure. It felt like I was building my online “home”, where people could enjoy visiting and looking around, regardless of whether or not they purchased anything. I wanted to make it beautiful and user friendly…a welcome mat, laid out for future readers. Deciding on colors, composition, images, etc. were all enjoyable challenges.

Along the way, I learned some useful tidbits. Firstly, Yola is an incredible free hosting company. I ended up choosing one of their paid plans, (because I wanted more options and storage), but their free service is excellent. Their site-creation process is a breeze, even if you know nothing going into to it.

I also learned about Morguefile.com, a great resource for free photos to use for banners, book trailers, or whatever you need. Yola also has a nice selection of free photos, but sometimes there’s a specific type of image you’re looking for, and you need more resources. If you’re willing to shell out $4 to $20, you can also buy royalty free stock images. The most extensive selection, for the best price can be found at Dreamstime.

If you’d like to see what I put together, visit my website at dianagreenbooks.com. There’s a page with links to useful resources for website and book trailer creation.

As it turns out, there are aspects of marketing and promotion which are downright fun. Who’d have thought it?

Diana Green
dianagreenbooks@gmail.com  

6 comments:

Big Mike said...

Amazing. From across the globe and we're all connected now via the web. Always wanted to trout fish in NZ.

Ref the post, good sources, and welcome aboard Diane.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Jude Johnson said...

Congratulations and welcome, Diana. Another royalty photo source is http://www.bigstockphoto.com --I've found some wonderful imagery there.

~Jude
http://jude-johnson.com

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

That information is extremely well timed in my life. I will be flying solo this summer, taking over my website from my overworked webmaster.

Thanks for the info.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

PS: Beautiful clean site!I'm going to buy your short stories.

Diana Green said...

Thanks for the feedback and support!

Annabel Aidan said...

Thank you for sharing those resources. Appreciate it!