Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rewards, Treats or Pats on the Back...

So, which is it? Do you give yourself a reward, indulge a special treat, or simply pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you did a good job?

I’ve seen a couple of writers who do one or all of the above. One that stands out in particular is a friend and he gives himself special treats (from comic books to cookies). In fact, his last post on a writers group on Facebook, where he posed the question about rewarding oneself, inspired me to write this post.

Personally, I don’t really reward or treat myself with items. In my opinion, life’s too short to restrict the indulgencies to one particular event or day. Might as well enjoy things now and be thankful for it. That being said, I can fully appreciate waiting patiently for a specific date or time in order to appreciate the indulgent element. Like, say, birthday presents or end of the day cocktails. Mmm, end of day cocktails…anyways, I digress.

I tend to give myself deadlines and once done, giving myself a pat on the back and saying, ‘well done’ to myself (fist pump, yay, stupid sitting down dance). That feeling of accomplishment is my reward, more or less. Then I can go play outside for a little whiles. By that, I mean tune out and vegetate until the writing fever infects me again. The last WIP is a perfect example. Having set a goal to complete it before my birthday so I could play and just forget about anything writing-related.

So what about you? Do you reward yourself with a cookie at the end of a chapter? A special whiskey you’ve set aside specifically when you finish your book? Or a wild shopping spree to get that new frock or pair of shoes? I’d love to know!

Cheers,


3 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

The feeling of accomplishment is lost on me. With accomplishment comes more responsibility.

Writers are the Little Red Hens of the modern world. First we grow the grain, the idea, then we grind it into flour, the story line, then we do multiple revisions, the baking, and finally when others eat, we must start promoting it.

Did you say cocktails, TK? Sigh, COCKTAILS is another writing project for me, my column due on deadline.


Big Mike said...

I give myself thirty seconds to breathe, a day to sleep, maybe another day to do a little fishing, then I jump back into the fictional pool and begin again. Hey, my muse is a demanding creature and she's very bossy.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

TKToppin said...

Yes, Julie, Cocktails! :) Haha!
And wow, Big Mike, your muse is demanding!! THanks guys for stopping by.