Monday, June 3, 2013

WORDPRESS VS BLOGGER FOR AUTHORS




The two largest hosts for blogging are Google’s Blogger and WordPress. WordPress allows you to register for an account with an email address, username, password and URL. Blogger requires a Google account for each name. Both services support pages, which can include HTML (if you are venturesome), text and various media. Both WordPress and Blogger have centralized areas from which to manage your blogs which are separate from the settings for the blogs themselves. Both services provide apps for use with phones and allow multiple accounts.
A free WordPress account offers a blog, which you can turn into a static or hybrid (part blog, part static) website (my choice) with 3 huge GB of free storage for posts and media, free statistics for tracking visitors, and access to hundreds of non-premium themes. WordPress’s premium upgrades include: Custom Design ($30 per blog, per year), custom domains ($13 per domain, per blog, per year) which removes the .wordpress.com part of the URL, Guided Transfer ($129 one-off payment) for transferring your WordPress.com site to your own web-host for greater independence and freedom, Ad-free ($30 per blog, per year), premium themes (priced per blog for the lifetime of the blog), a redirect ($13 per blog, per year) for redirecting traffic from yourblog.wordpress.com to your new domain, additional space (priced per amount) for storing more posts and media, and VideoPress ($60 per blog, per year) for uploading, hosting and embedding your own videos on your WordPress blog.
Blogger has been owned by Google since 2003 with few changes. There are no upgrades, no plugin support, no fees for adding a custom domain, and all the customization options thrown in that Blogger has available (unlike WordPress which charges for the upgrades). Blogger offers a template designer for customizing your blog’s appearance, free hosting with Blogspot and the option of using a custom domain (either registering through Blogger or using one you already have). You can also add media to your posts with no quoted maximum storage space and maintain static content on the blog. Blogger allows you to enable Google AdSense on your blog which will show targeted advertisements based on content which can earn you some money.

MY CALL. I maintain both Wordpress & Blogger accounts. My Blogger experience is primarily as a group member. With Wordpress, I maintain an individual blog and blog with two groups. I prefer Wordpress because there’s more flexibility, but flexibility also brings complexity. If you want something that is totally free and extremely easy to use, Blogger might be a good choice for you. And that’s what it all comes down to–choice. Try them both out for set up and easy of use, then make your decision. Or choose something else entirely. If you use another service, please share the benefits and drawbacks. 

Next month, Blogging for Authors. 

Rita Bay's Webpage & Blog

"Her Teddy Bare" Carnal Passions, May, 2013
"The Aegis" Champagne Books, April, 2013
"Nimue's Daughter," Shared Whispers, Champagne Books, July, 2013
"Search & Rescue" Secret Cravings Publishing, July, 2013
"Finding Eve" Champagne Books, September, 2013
"Into the Lyons' Den" Champagne Books, August, 2012
"His Desire" Siren BookStrand, May, 2012
"His Obsession" Siren BookStrand, April, 2012

9 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Thanks, Rita. Wordpress, as I expected, is way to complicated for me, just coming off of trouble doing my own website.

I'm going to go static on it, not adding to it any additional content except new books. I plan to use blogger to share ideas, host other authors and make timely announcements about what I'm doing or publishing.

Does that sound like enough?

Rita Bay said...

Thanks for commenting, Julie. I didn't realize how complicated WordPress was until I started writing the series. I personally prefer it to Blogger but WordPress would be more difficult to learn, esp writers new to blogging.
Your background is well done and the info is easily accessible on your webpage. A connection to your blog needs to be very clear. I combined my website and blog, using a theme that lends itself easily to it. If you want my content, you'll see my books. R

Nikki said...

Gadzooks, and I thought Blogger was complicated to set up. Still, it's free and it does what I want it to do, mostly. Sometimes the formatting gets wonky. And I'm still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. Next up, refreshing my website or moving it (yikes).

Nikki

Big Mike said...

Well done and informative, Rita. Thanks.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Rita Bay said...

Thank you, Mike.

Nikki,Changing is always difficult, but sometimes you must move on. I had a paid monthly provider and was very dissatisfied for what I received for the $$. Both WordPress and Blogger provided value for free.
As for your formatting ghosts, when you use a text editor rather than HTML, you get formatting errors that can only be fixed if you convert to HTML and fix it, if you happen to know HTML. Rita

JL Walters said...

I'm for Blogger all the way. I do have a WordPress thing but it won't let me in to do anything. Always says I'm not who I am. This was set up by a publisher for me even though I already had a blog on Blogger. I like easy and not hard.

Melissa Keir said...

I use Weebly and enjoy that. The only downside is that I can't set the post to launch on its own. I have to manually set it live.

Colonialist said...

Interesting comparison. I have both, too, but whereas my WP blog is fairly lively, I haven't yet figured out how to bring the Blogger one to life.

sanjith said...

Informative article about blogger and wordpress cms and so on ...I usually prefer wordpress cms is the best for blog site ...I build my business blog site using wordpress cms through providers like XnYnZ.com first i choose domain name for my blog site and registered it with them for affordable cost .Then i signed up for an wordpress blog hosting service to build a amazing professional blog site as i wish and also host it online ..WordPress Hosting from the above provider keeps our site running smoothly, even when our latest post goes viral, by automatically spreading traffic spikes across multiple servers. Plus, their advanced performance and security means our site is lightning-fast and our visitors are safe.