Saturday, June 15, 2013

Talking about the Weather




Where I am we had spring for two weeks followed by extraordinary late frosts that killed my garden. Of course, the odd weather here has been minor compared to other climatic occurrences elsewhere. All of this has made me think about the weather and its use as a writing device in establishing a setting, show a character’s mood, and even to move a plot forward.

It’s always been a social thing for someone who has nothing to talk about to talk about the weather, and when you meet someone you don’t know… you talk about the weather. I don’t know if this means weather is so obvious or uncontroversial it’s safe as a topic, or so important we all have to talk about it. (Which considering the predicted future might be a good thing.)

A horrible storm breaking can ramp up drama, the end of a storm can calm it. I’ve used weather in some aspect in all of my books, and noticed how many other authors use it. In Protecting Her Own, a snowstorm strands the protagonists. Because I know how atmospheric changes can bring on migraines and depression, I’ve used it to show a character’s mood. 

It’s a small thing among so many writing devices, and one I haven’t considered that seriously, but I imagine with the changes the world is going through, it might become a lot more important. 

From Champagne Books

4 comments:

Big Mike said...

Done that myself with the duality of rain. At funerals to amplify sorrow, and in a tin roof cabin to accelerate the pace of amore.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Me, too. I have a tropical storm pass through a love scene in one of my books, and a killer snow storm in another.

It ramps up and enhances the "amour". But now with the controversy about climate change, it might not be a safe subject for a social gathering.

Big Mike said...

JP

You're such a copycat (g).

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

Thanks for the comments. I know it is an obvious thing, but I haven't seen many writing manuals mention the weather.