Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Just a Brief Thought This Month


    I guess this entry is more therapeutic this month and just the ramblings of an average writer. Just recently I’ve begun to wonder why I started writing and what motivates me to do so. A lot of people jump to the conclusion that because you have books published you’re suddenly rich and only do it for the money. I always laugh and reply that earning lots of money from writing would be nice but it’s not necessarily true. In fact, I explain that should anyone manage to secure a publishing contract for their work they have done extremely well, such is the competitiveness of the industry. If you factor the growing popularity of self-publishing and throw that in to the mix, any work published traditionally is a great success.
     When I first started writing, I wanted to create my own stories that were interesting to me. That was my goal. I wrote shorts just for the sheer enjoyment of writing. I never showed my work to anyone, it was all just my own project stored away on a floppy disk (back in the early 00’s we go). It wasn’t until 2010 when a brief surge of creativity and motivation spurred me to write my first novel, which ended as The Dark Army. That was the one work that I actually felt would get published out of everything I had written previously. Since then I have worked on books which, hopefully, most of my reading audience will enjoy.
     I always think back to why, though. Why did I write? Why not pick up a paint brush or an instrument and become creative with a different form? For me it was freedom. I can create whatever my mind can imagine with a keyboard and a blank screen. I have always been a great fan of the artist Bob Ross. Those of you who are familiar with his work will know that his painting style often caused great debate amongst his fellow artists. He created a simple but effective way to paint a stunning landscape scene using a different type of paint that other traditional artists did not use. His work was fantastic and I admire him greatly for breaking the rules of his trade, so to speak. One thing he always used to say, though, remains with me during my own written projects; “In your world, you can move mountains.” And he was right. If I take that line of thinking with me to my literary work I know that I can create whatever I want and bend it to my own will. I can create an army of animals fighting for peace within their homeland in Tales of Averon. I can create a haunted island and a handful of survivors in Haunted.
     Writing is the chosen release for all these stories that float within my mind. They may not be of interest to anyone else but to me they are taking place in my own world and need to be noticed. Another motivation to continue writing is my own characters. If I stop mid-way through a story or novel I will always return to it at a later stage without a doubt. I always think to myself, ‘those characters die unless their story finishes.’
     I write firstly because I enjoy it. I write because I enjoy bonding with my characters and taking them on a journey where I can make them or break them. I love creating against the odds situations and allowing my characters and their personalities to decide how to deal with them. But most of all, I enjoy creating my own worlds where anything is possible.
     I would love to hear why other writers chose to pick up the pen and their motivations for continuing. Am I the only one who writes to move mountains?

3 comments:

Big Mike said...

Hey Alan

On April 19 I did a similar post called Double Edge which discusses the same issues you're eluding to, so you're not alone bud. The majority of published authors go through the same conflicts.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

I write for many of the same reason and because writing is a great exploration.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

From power to glory in many difficult steps.

It's the world-building and character creating that make it fun. Discipline keeps the author grounded, or is it rounded? Sigh.