Sunday, May 19, 2013

Getting Re-Acquainted


What a whirlwind the last six weeks have been, since the release of An Alien’s Guide to World Domination on April 1. Two release parties with readings, with over 130 people attending; interviews on book review web sites and fellow author blogs; and all the questions from wonderful friends-and-family-readers: “Is Jack really so-and-so?” “I know who Sergio is! Am I right?” “I remember when you and I were at that meeting – that’s the one you wrote about in Chapter 6, isn’t it?”

It’s all fiction, I remind them, and revel in the fact that people are reading this story.

Now it’s time to get re-acquainted with writing. I will attend two writers’ conferences, one this weekend and one in July, and I need to have another manuscript ready to “pitch.” That means I need to re-read, and re-write.

I decided to work on my first attempt at a tale for young people, using the work I did in last November’s National Novel Writing Month as the foundation. So this week I pulled the manuscript for The Law of Immediate Forgiveness out of the dusty file drawer (or the digital equivalent thereof) where it’s rested since December 1. And started reading it again.

And I met up (again) with main character Amy June Pilgrim, the eleven and a half year old girl who longs to prove she’s no longer a little kid, and to experience a real adventure. She does both. I met up (again) with her Grandpa Marq, who is the leader of a team of misfit math and computer geeks on the verge of finishing the formula for the Law of Immediate Forgiveness, which will free the world of war, strife, violence, and suffering. I met up (again) with Professor Fogarty, who might be helping them or might be trying to stop them at any cost. And of course with Licky, the black Labrador whose ability to fart helps Amy June escape her kidnapper and reunite with her family.

How much fun, to become reacquainted with all these interesting, silly, brave, and sometimes scary characters, and to re-read their tale, and to make it ready to find other readers who will love them as much as I do, I hope. It's one of the great joys of writing, isn't it? 

0 comments: