Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Have A Love Hate Relationship - with my computer



I love/loath my computer, depending on the day, the hour or the minute.

First, let me offer a bit of insight. I started with a computer years ago (Nope, not going to say how but it was long ago) but believe me when I say if there was a DOS it wasn't public knowledge. I started as a travel agent and went to school to learn how to use a computer. I spent a week at American Airlines, trying to learn to talk to a computer so I could speak 'computerese'.

The first thing I discovered, the thing didn't care what I wanted to do, it did it one way, and nothing I said to it changed its routine. If I missed a step, which I did often, nothing came from the printer. I ended up writing a lot of airline tickets by hand. And believe me that was fun! Every airline in the world, even the tiniest runway with a tower of sorts, had its own three letter code. I also voided a lot of tickets - wrong code. And of course I won't get into the classes of flyers.

Slowly, I learned at least how to work with an airline computer.

Then came DOS and a whole different set of rules. Next we had a kinda internet. My computer, because I had to have one at home, was a little device with a rectangular box that sat on my desk, a clunky monitor bigger than my IBM Selectric typewriter and of course the keyboard. IBM made one with a green screen, which I selected over the apples used at school. The machine came with an early version of DOS and not much else. The two programs I wanted to add to my computer, apple didn't support.

That was the beginning - years ago. Since then, I have flash drives, DVD's CD's, external drives and my geek sons have external drives that are measured in TB's. There are so many new devices, my head swims, and I get to hear - "Mom, get with it!"

Now I'm always doing something to mess things up. I enter the wrong data, go to the wrong site and can't get out, lose what I inputted, or hit the wrong key and everything goes flying off into the illusive cyber world. About that time, the hate begins. When the computer and all the components work - boy, it's great.

Then there are those times...

Like I said, I have a real love, hate relationship with my computer.

Allison, today I hate my computer, Knight



3 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I remember my friend trying to learn the computer for a job as a travel agent. Thought she'd go bald with frustration. Then my daughter gave me her old DOS, yellow screen. She wrote code, learned it at school (USC, South). Gradually I am learning Windows 7, but it's not easy, so I know where you're coming from.

Ron said...

I went from a manual typewriter to an electric to a Commodore 64 computer with 5" floppies.

I thought the Commodore was the high point!

I still have manuscripts on the Commodore I haven't gotten re-entered on to my IBM.

They may have to stay there.

Oh good grief...

Ron said...

I went from a manual typewriter to an electric to a Commodore 64 computer with 5" floppies.

I thought the Commodore was the high point!

I still have manuscripts on the Commodore I haven't gotten re-entered on to my IBM.

They may have to stay there.

Oh good grief...