Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Buildup

One year and two months into the creation of my new novel "Tracks".  The entire novel has been through two drafts and is presently halfway through its third and final revision before being submitted.

By now the size of my American fantasy has risen to seventy-one thousand words - six-thousand more than the second draft.  The manuscript will easily surpass eighty-thousand words by its completion.  I am writing almost every day now, instead of just on weekends.  The pace has quickened.  I want this project completed in time to make publication in December should my publisher be willing.

This is already a team project, with fellow authors doing line edits as they pour over each chapter submitted to my reading group.  My wife will perform a complete read-through before submission to Burst Books.

I write while watching television after a long day at work.  I take half a day each weekend, and more when I can get it.  I have this Friday off.  Guess what I'll be doing.

The buildup doesn't stop with writing.  There are conventions to attend where the book is mentioned.  A web page to build, and eventually more promotional efforts ahead of release (yes, I will be providing a preview of "Tracks" exclusively on this blog.).  Oh, and my book still has to pass muster with Burst Books - the level of quality doesn't lower even for "in house" writers.   

Now here's the kicker - every author goes through this sort of thing.  Every one of us.

Tracks by KM Tolan

Vincent's sister is swept away by a steam locomotive riding rails that vanish along with her. Ten years later he rediscovers those tracks, and heads down them to bring her back. 

Kerry
www.kmtolan.com

1 comments:

Big Mike said...

Cool title on the new WIP. I've noticed that after 16 stories, the rate of production is slowing down. My next project, like yours is at the 60K word mark and its been almost a year. Age is really creeping up on me.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)