Sunday, February 24, 2013

Being Ready


During the late fall and early winter, the magic “release date” of April 1 seemed beautifully far away. I listened to veteran authors and editors give advice about getting ready: prepare your blog posts, your virtual book tours, your FAQ’s, your interview responses, think about your web site, your tag line, your ability to talk about your book. Lay the ground work. Be ready.

I knew at the time it was good advice. But time, as they say, is slippery. In fact, that’s one of the main themes in my book – An Alien’s Guide to World Domination – all the ways time can fool us. We think there is more of it, or not enough.

Now release is just over a month away. Am I ready?

I don’t even know what ready means. After I finished edits, my fingers tingled for a week from all the typing. I am planning two release parties, one in my old city, one in my new community. I am inviting everyone I can think of – even people who don’t know me well, or like me much. Why not? I’m working on giveaways, and trying to remember to plaster my web site and title everywhere. I’m practicing reading out loud, so my voice doesn’t shake. (It will, but I pretend it won’t.)

And meanwhile – I’m trying to remember the heart of this book, the core of the story of An Alien’s Guide: it’s about trying, and failing, and trying again; and most of all, it’s about letting yourself be helped and supported by the people who love you.

An Alien's Guide to World Domination coverSo when I get completely frantic, my love grabs my shoulders and says to me: “You have a book coming out.” And then he smiles a huge smile and adds: “That’s not a problem. That’s a solution. Remember that.”

And for just a moment in time, I remember all this franticness is the result of an astounding opportunity, to see if there is an audience for this story I wrote.

Release is just over a month away. Am I ready?

I don’t even know what ready means. But I am eager to find out.

Elizabeth Fountain is the author of An Alien’s Guide to World Domination, coming from Champagne Books in April 2013. Find out more at Point No Point, her author blog. 

2 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Good luck with your book. You have an engaging way of writing.

Liz Fountain said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement and kind words, Julie!

Liz