Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year - 2013




I wish I could say I celebrated with gusto last night, but alas, my idea of celebrating was a glass of wine with supper, our evening meal--when we say dinner here in Texas most times we're referring to the noon meal. But, it is exciting to look forward to a new beginning so to speak. Not that we can't set goals all year long, but sometimes we tend to take them more seriously if set on New Year's Day.

My mother-in-law always insisted that we eat blackeyed peas for luck on New Year's Day and if you were one to really believe in those traditions you added cabbage for money. We've avoided the tradition many times and haven't suffered any ill effects--that we know of. One reason is we don't like canned blackeyes. We like them fresh with snaps.

My husband was stationed in Maryland for a while in 1969 and I worked at Edgewood Arsenal where I made several good friends. One I still get a Christmas card from every year. They couldn't believe we ate blackeyed peas as they didn't consider them fit for human consumption but fed them to their cows. Each spring many of us haunt the roadside produce stands looking for the delicious peas. And they cost a pretty penny. Years ago they were a staple in gardens.

One more thought about celebrating. One of my students shared an observation with me. He said older teachers come back to school on a Monday all rested and happy while the young ones come back bleary eyed and grumpy. I'd never thought about it before but did know I got as much rest as possible on the weekend to make it through the coming week.

Much happiness to you and yours in this wonderful new year. And as we say here in Texas, "Ya'll come back now, you hear!"

Linda

Photobucket



6 comments:

Big Mike said...

Good Lord Linda

I used to live near ya in MD (town south of Westminster). In the south it was Black eyes for change, Collards for green backs and burn bayberry candles for luck.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Linda LaRoque said...

So you ate blackeyes? I like collards if they're cooked right. Never heard of the bayberry candles.

Are you eating your collards today?

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

My mother was raised in NC. Back in PA where I was raised, we had collards, black-eyed peas and yes, we burned bayberry candles for luck. For even more luck we set them in the sink to burn all night without taking the house along.

Linda LaRoque said...

Good idea putting the candle in the sink, Julie.

The best collards I ever ate were at a restaurant in Georgia on a buffet no less. They were delicious!

My mother-in-law used to fix polk greens a lot. They aren't my favorite but I can eat them.

Cathy Coburn said...

My husband told me that black-eyed peas was strictly an Oklahoma thing for twenty four year, well twenty-three he asked me to fix them and for Twenty-three years I refused, we Californians gag at the thought let alone the smell. This year he finally gave up, I think I finally Califoriaized him, about time ;)

Cathy

Linda LaRoque said...

Haha, Cathy. I guess you can now see it's more wide spread. I don't like the taste, texture or smell of canned blackeyed pea, but love them fresh. If you ever get the chance, try them. They are nothing like the canned.