Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Last Holiday



I am not a big New Year’s Eve partier; never have been. In many ways the hectic party became a distraction, and traveling late night roads with drunk drivers, dangerous. Over the years my significant other and I have settled into a more sedate routine we both enjoy: he fixes a lobster dinner, and we share a bottle of Champagne.

Lobsters are placed alive in a pan with boiling water and steamed to death. It’s gruesome to hear them clicking inside the kettle, which is why he cooks them. They come out a bright, rich red; they’re messy to eat, and there really isn’t much meat for the size of the carcass. By the next day, if not trashed, the leftovers really stink. Cracking the tail frees the largest segment of meat, but the claws need to be broken and picked clean of all the delicate flesh. It takes a long time. Somehow this seems to provide the perfect symbolic analogy of the year past and the one to be, which certainly embraces the sentiment behind the holiday. We talk about the passing year and express what we’d like to accomplish in the coming year. Some of this will happen, some won’t.

We make no resolutions that will never come to fruition. Hindsight from the past, hope, and a path given by foresight gives us anticipation. Is there any insight? At our age--not much that he and I don’t already know from day-to-day living.

Enjoy your New Year however you celebrate.

Available from Champagne Books
 

4 comments:

Big Mike said...

You know what I took out of that post. Your rich enough to buy lobster (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

It's only a little more than what a pound of fine steak costs, and certainly not as much as in a restaurant. Gotta splurge at least once a year! LOL

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I think I just became a vegan!

Twenty years ago I cooked a lobster for my father-in-law who had just been widowed. My experience was similar to yours. "Let my crustaceans go!"

Rhobin Lee Courtright said...

I've been having those vegan thoughts a lot lately, too, Julie