Saturday, October 20, 2012

Help! I don’t know how to change the toilet paper roll…

For Halloween, I thought about a blog on scary movies. I love a good scare. But then, something scared me even more than Jason chasing me with a knife. A woman came out of the church restroom and said to me, “The bathroom is out of toilet paper. The roll is there, but I don’t know how to change it.”


Are we so technically advanced that we have become inept at the simple and practical tasks of life?

The church bathroom does not have an industrial toilet paper dispenser. The church toilet paper set up does not require a special tool or a key. It is a simple spring loaded roll. Stay with me and I’ll explain the process.

Step one: Tap the spring loaded tube and it pretty much falls out. Step two: Tilt the tube and the used paper roll falls off. Step Three: Remove the paper covering off the toilet paper roll. Step Four: Place new toilet paper roll on the tube. Step Five: insert into holder.

Wow, I guess it is more complicated then I thought. This toilet paper holder is the same type of holder you would encounter in most homes. I find it hard to believe that this thirty-year-old woman never ran across a toilet paper holder that is spring loaded. It made me wonder if as a technical society, we are too busy, and pulled in too many directions that we’re losing life skills as simple as changing the toilet paper roll. Are people just lazy and making excuses, or has our constant use of technology made us stupid? What do you think?

In Action Thriller, Bolt Action from Champagne Books, Detective Leslie Bolt uses sarcasm instead of beating the crap out of stupid people. She is a smart talking, gun hording, Harley riding investigator forced to work a serial murder case with her sexy ex-lover. After a childhood of abuse suffered at the hand of her father, Leslie sleeps with a Ruger Blackhawk .357 under her pillow, has a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker rifle in her broom closet, and a Saturday Night Special stashed in her road-hog cookie jar. The body count mounts and Detective Bolt must conquer her own past, as she races to capture “The State Quarter Killer” before her sister is the next victim.

Please visit Victoria's website www.victoriaroder.com

4 comments:

Big Mike said...

So funny. Course anyone that knows you JP, recognizes you ad a real pistol (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2012)

C.M. Michaels said...

I have seen so much evidence of this!! How many times have you stuck your hands under a public faucet, soap or towel dspenser expecting it to work on its own before having to remind yourself how to work the device physically?

If you have never seen the movie Idiocracy you should rent it. Takes this fear forward to a world full of total idiots. It's a lighthearted comedy, but the parallels it draws to things you can already see happened today are downright frightening.

Liz Fountain said...

Um, excuse me, now that I know how to change the toilet paper roll, I have to go take care of something...

:-) Thanks for the chuckle!

lizfountain.wordpress.com

January Bain said...

We are definately poorer for all the techno advancements. That's the dark side of a great revolution.