Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Schedule Realignment


I’m always going on and on about how I like to write my first 1K of the day early in the morning.  The more projects I’m juggling, the tighter my schedule, the more likely I am to do that initial draft on the computer rather than in longhand.  I can write faster, and be more productive.  The current business model requires us to write fast AND well -- producing volume is the only way we can make a living.

I miss percolation time.  I like projects to ferment for awhile, while I’m working on other things, while I’m gardening, while I’m . . .whatevering.

I miss my IBM Selectric.  There was something about the tapping of the keys that made me feel like a Writer.

I miss writing in longhand.

The kitten, Tessa, just turned one.  She’s bigger than the other two cats, and still young enough to remember she was once feral.  She wants to be an outdoor cat, but it’s too dangerous.  However, I have an enclosure on the deck, and she’s fortified with flea and tick medicine.  So, in the morning, after she’s had her breakfast, I’ve done my yoga and mediation and made the coffee, I take out the cat, the coffee, a notebook and pen, and I write my first 1000 words of the day.  They’re not on anything that’s contracted or deadlined.  They are on a project that I’m developing slowly, something just for me.  The cat is happy, and by the time I’m done, I’m ready to go back inside to the desk and the computer and do my NEXT 1000 words on something that’s on deadline.  And then juggle the various articles, short stories, and other assignments that are required to pay the bills and keep a roof over all our heads.

But that early morning time -- it’s sacred.  It’s mine.  It’s a blessing.


--Annabel Aidan is a full-time writer publishing under a half a dozen names in fiction and non-fiction.  Her paranormal romantic suspense, ASSUMPTION OF RIGHT, named a “hot book for cold Cape Cod nights” by the CAPE COD TIMES, is available from Champagne Books.  Visit her website, www.devonellingtonwork.com/annabelaidan.hmtl, her Amazon author page, and on Facebook.Facebook

2 comments:

Big Mike said...

4 out of 5 days I get up at 4 AM, write for 3-4 hours then go do my list of honey do and farm jobs. It is absolute bliss, no interruption, new age music in my earphones, oh so good.

How do I get up at 4 when I hit the sheets at 11 PM? Still a threw back to the days when I had to rise early and hit the road for an hour drive in to work a ten hour day. Guess the old bio clock doesn't want to change. Ref missing writing with a pencil, yeah I miss that too.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2011)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I should have known you'd have a black cat; me, too.

Haven't written in longhand for a very long time. It seems lately that everyting I do is company oriented, seldom for pleasure. But these blogs are a wonderful outlet, a chance to speak one's mind. Since I'm a bottom line thinker; I'm also a succinct writer -- a leftover from my journalism persuits.

Your outdoor peace and quiet are enviable. Our pool areais indisquishable from the water in the pool, hot, humid and buggy.