Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stopping to Smell the Roses... or the Beer

My girl cousins on the Riley side of the family get together every summer for a weekend jaunt. Because of our age, we don't do anything too strenuous or wild. No bungee jumping for us. We like to see the sights, have a picnic, take in a museum or two, sit around the pool and visit, and drink a beer or margarita... or two. It seems everywhere we go, we run across a winery and usually go in for a tasting.

This year we went to New Braunfels, an area well know for water activities. Friday I had to drive in to San Antonio and take care of my grandson so missed part of the fun. Perhaps that's a good thing as the other three decided to take a tubing trip down the Comal River. Let me say, if you decide to tube the Comal or the Guadalupe, pay the extra $2.00 for a tube with  a bottom. It protects your butt from the many rocks. Being inexperienced tubers, my cousins didn't know to do so and have the bruises to prove it. They also had rubber burns on their arms. You do know that as we age, our skin is more delicate!

Saturday we visited Gruene, pronounced Green, and toured Gruene Hall (where the dance scene in Michael with John Travolta was filmed) and ate at The Gristmill Restaurant and Bar. Both interesting places oozing with history. For more details, visit my blog post on Authors by Moonlight. Sunday we drove to Hunter to see Riley's Tavern. Since we're all Rileys, we hoped we could convince them we were long lost relatives and get free drinks. Of course, it was Sunday and they didn't open until 1:00 PM, and we had to head on down the road. Stopped in Wimberly for another picnic at Cypress Park. It's a beautiful spot completely shaded by the tall trees. We shopped for a while before heading home.

How about you guys? Do you slow down enough to smell the roses with family or friends on a regular basis? I'd love to hear about your trips.

Thanks for stopping by!

Linda


10 comments:

January Bain said...

Thanks for sharing Linda, we love to go camping!

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

My outdoor trips have been in foreign lands. The most impressive was Pompeii. The spirits still haunt that place. The chariot wheels have left clear tread marks in the cobblestone streets of the small city where people are preserved in mid living and frozen in time.

Linda LaRoque said...

We loved camping when we were younger, January. There is nothing like camping with family though. One year we met at Nathan Bedford National Forest, three families. What fun memories.

Linda LaRoque said...

How wonderful, Julie! I'd love to do some exploring in foreign lands. Maybe one day. My destination of choice is Ireland and Scotland.

Rita Bay said...

Great Post that makes you think! Unfortuntately, I don't slow down. I'm the middle generation and have the responsibilities that go with it. Do go out and about but not for traditional vacation. Rita

Linda LaRoque said...

Seems the older we get, Rita, the more we feel the need to get together. Most of us are retired so have more time. I hear you on the responsibilities. You have to grab the moments when they're available.

Richard Hacker said...

Your blog was a walk through memory lane. I lived in Austin between 1968 - 2009, so I've floated that river many times. Brought a smile to my face. Thanks.

Linda LaRoque said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Richard. Wow, that was 40 years! Where do you live now?

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Sounds like a great visit, Linda. We've travelled a lot in Europe and Canada and especially love train journeys.

Linda LaRoque said...

One of these days, Rosemary, we're going to get to travel by train. It's not as common over here. I'd love to travel Europe by train. I'm still looking at that tour of Ireland.