Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why I Can't Write a Five Flame Story by Jane Toombs


   Of course I know how to write sex scenes.  Doesn’t every writer?
   Then what’s my problem?  I think it’s partly because  I really don’t enjoy reading too-explicit sex scenes. Why don’t I?  I’m not a prude--hard for a retired  RN to become one. We’ve seen  everything men have to offer during our working days. Also most of us have shoved catheters up a man’s most sensitive spot  which was no fun for either nurse or patient
   I could blame it on being an old bat, but that has nothing to do with the reason, because I didn’t care to read them when I was younger, with my own active sex life.
   That said, I do like sexy books, but I don’t care to be overwhelmed with sex scenes every few pages.  Heroes and heroines have lives apart from having sex --isn’t there anything else exciting they’re  involved with? I want to see problem solving or them running for their lives, or up against a frightening paranormal happening .  Comedy’s okay, too.
      I realize women today have more active sex lives than my generation of females did.  Heavens, we were all expected to be virgins when we got married.  Were most of us?  I haven’t a clue because if we weren’t no one admitted it.  And if you think I’m
going to tell if I was or not, you’ll just have to wait till I write my memoirs.  Come to think of it, I better get started  on them before I get too old to remember.
   In my stories, I don’t expect my hero or heroine to refrain from sex. They sometimes do, but more often they have at it.  But my plots d not revolve around the sex, no matter how hot and heavy.  Not that I shut the reader out--why would I do that. Sex comprises part of most of my books because sex is a part of life.  Of course, in many of my stories so is paranormal a part of life.
   My next book for CB is Where there’s Smoke, the second story in my Dagon House Trilogy.  This is Krystal’s story.  She fled NYC  where she was a successful model because of a stalker who was also an arsonist and that’s how she wound up living in Dagon House.  Well, you just know he’s going to find her…
    I didn’t live in the mountains, but I did live in upstate NY, and am familiar with both the city and other areas of what, to my surprise when I moved there, turned out to be a beautiful state. 

   Taken In, the first book of the Dagon House Trilogy is already out and introduces the reader to the Dagon House ghosts.  Plus the humans living there, too. Will these books be sexy?  As I said before, after all, sex is part of life.  So yes, unexpected love, which, of course, includes sex, comes to each of these heroines even though they believe love is no longer going to be a part of their  lives.
   Maybe that’s why this trilogy’s not a five flamer. Because life is so traumatic for these women they’ve learned not to trust men.  At least not until the right one finally does come along.  And even then…          
   I did have tremendous fun using the ghosts.  Whether you believe in them or not, they make wonderful characters.  I think trilogies are fun to read and write, so I do a lot of them. I’d be interested to hear how readers feel about trilogies, 
   Giving away a ebook copy of Taken In to one lucky commenter.

 Jane 


 

7 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I completely agree that you don't need to write graphic sex scenes. It actually turns me off if a book is too explicit - I much prefer sensuality and imagination! But it often does depend on the type of book, of course, and how necessary a sex scene might be.

I don't have any definite view on trilogies, except I don't think I would want to write a series myself.

Jude Johnson said...

I try not to write too graphically, but certain characters seem to demand it at times. It hasn't been anything to warrant publication by Champagne's erotic division. I can write steamy, but I'm not comfortable writing erotica, which probably surprises a few people.
I like writing a series. It's akin to revisiting old friends.

~Jude
http://jude-johnson.com

Big Mike said...

Actually did a survey of female friends/family before I started writing to try and identify the "comfort zone" and I discovered there wasn't one that fit all women. So, I just wrote what I figured my wife, mother, and sister would tolerant.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year (2008 and 2009)
Award of Excellence (2011)

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

Can't go wrong with wife, mother and sister, Mike.

I've enjoyed some of Nora Robert's three-series. She takes a charater out of the original and does a story on him or her.

I find graphic sex invasive to my imagination. My characters must be in love, at least at the time, and if they are not, well, I am their inventress.

Rita Bay said...

Don't buy a story for the number of flames or such. If the sex scenes pull me out of the story or the story is just a series of linked-together sex scenes, I feel cheated and won't buy that author again. Trilogies are great, if well done. Rita Bay

January Bain said...

I have a certain comfort zone as well, I want a good story first with sexuality as a small part that does not distract from the story. I love series, hence my never-ending Forever Series. I guess that's why the title!

Chad Aaron Sayban said...

I think it is best to write a sexual scene that goes part of the way, but stops early enough that the reader fills in the rest of the blanks how they see fit. To much info takes some of the fun from the reader.