Sunday, April 8, 2012


These days, we’re all too familiar with that hashtagging business, so, no need to explain myself.  However, talk to people outside of the Twitterverse, and they give you that ‘huh’ look.  Such is the case, once more, with my orbiting satellites who do not transmit the usual social networking signals.

Experience has told me to keep my mouth shut while #amwriting, because I simply cannot write with someone constantly looking over my shoulder.  But since letting the cat out of the bag that I now do—actually—write stuff, everyone and their cousin wants to know what I’m doing next.  It can be very distracting.  Of course, they want more of the Lancaster Trilogy (I'm beginning to think they don’t quite understand the word ‘trilogy’), and want to know what happens next.  It’s hard not to stamp my foot and throw a tantrum and tell them to…well…you know what I mean.  Seriously, I do have other things to write about.  While I feel quite flattered they’d want more Lancaster stuff (so great for the ego, btw), I have moved on with my imaginary life.

Right now, I’m waist-deep in a new story (okay, it’s a spin-off from said Lancaster world. What of it?).  Each day, I find myself anxious to dive in (barring there's no distractions from the real world—but boy, they can’t seem to take a hint) and hack away at the keyboard to conjure up words.  And like the last work in progress I just completed, I’m noticing I’ve become anti-social again.  Well, more so than usual.  It’s like 75% of my attention is still lodged into the new world in my head, while the other 25% performs the usual day-to-day tasks.  I have been told I tend to ‘wander’ (I never really noticed that until it was brought to my attention) and my temper tantrums tend to rise miraculously too (just picture a protective dog guarding her pups with bared teeth and nasty little snaps).  I've even got the 'go-away' glower down pat (and the growl).

Of course, I’m not really conscious of these occurrences (it could be PMS too—just saying), especially when I’m only utilizing 25% of my brain.  I mean, seriously, there’s multitasking, and then there's micro-multitasking.  Jeez, I can’t do everything and be aware I’m doing it!  Hubby has learned to read the signals well (for self-preservation reasons) and quite enjoys when #amwriting.  He can surf the TV channels to his hearts content.

Anyway, you do know this is all tongue-and-cheek (not really…kidding, kidding) and I’m sure most of you do, or are afflicted with the same.  Maybe I should do like those construction workers and put up a sign saying: ‘Work In Progress: #amwriting.’  Even better: ‘Disturb At Your Own Risk.’  No?  Too blunt?  #justsaying.

I any case, I shall get back to #amwriting…

T.K. Toppin


Julie Eberhart Painter said...

We do tend to emerse oursleves in the current story, which seems more real that the real world. The hovering public benefits when the pages hit the publisher's desk.

Allison said...

Oh, I can so relate to #amwriting syndrone. Leave me alone! No matter how it's shout, or whispered, they just don't get it. And that is sooooo frastrating.