Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sprint Vs.Marathon

Marathon season is approaching. It seems all my friends are training for various charity events, or just running for fun. I tried it once -- running -- and it was more like a stagger. My friend ran circles around me like a happy golden retriever. I'd rather walk, thank you. I might get there later, but at least I'll take in my surroundings. I won't miss the wonderful scenery (and the dog poop) on the way.

Some writers prefer sprinting rather than walking. I know about NaNoWriMo, which is great for a kick in the pants and a first draft to work from, but I'm talking about finished, published novels.

I don't know how some authors can crank out two or three novels a year and still have something in the tank. I wrote a novel under contract in three months once. Once. And let me tell you, I never want to relive that experience. Although it got decent reviews, I wasn't satisfied with the outcome and I wished I could have another chance to make a great idea into a novel that would fill me with pride.

A pantster by nature, I met the challenge and let the characters tell their story. But the story was rushed. I would have loved to go back and let my readers see what complex characters they were. Oh, well... maybe I will get a second chance.

In the meantime, I'm working on a story that I began over a year ago. I'd love to finish it quickly, but I'm taking the time to savour the story. I'm making sure every piece fits. I'm using the skills I learned in the last couple of years and making this the best book possible with my current skills.

I'm not going to pull a muscle on this one. And I will smell the flowers.


Sandra Cormier is the author of Bad Ice, a hockey romantic suspense. Hockey. Passion. Jealousy. A hat trick that can lead to danger.


p.s. I'd have a picture but I can't find my picture of my typewriter so I can Photoshop it speeding across the screen at Mach 4.

3 comments:

January Bain said...

Crafting things to the best of our ability, now you're talking girlfriend!

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I agree. Authors know when the story had matured from the time it was an idea to a read to an experience. More power to you.

MK said...

What a great blog and fun compilation of authors posting. Useful and informative too!