Thursday, March 8, 2012

Keeping Afloat without a New Release

This is the first year I've had since being published that I don't have anything scheduled for release. What!? Of course, the next question to follow is - why?

My answer; I just haven't finished any new stories to submit.

So - how will this affect sales? Truthfully, I don't expect it to make that much of a difference. Maybe a little, but interestingly enough my royalties stay pretty much the same for each pay period.  Backlist is so very important. For those new authors frustrated with small revenue, making money writing is usually a slow process.  It takes time to build a following and it takes time to build a backlist. It's the backlist that will sustain me until I can finish the next novel. The more books you've written, the more healthy your backlist. Let's face it, as readers, when we find an author we adore, we tend to want to read everything tha author has written. I have several authors who are auto-buys for me. Granted, if I read new work that's not up-to-snuff, I might think twice about buying another but usually, I'll buy at least two, maybe three before giving up on that author if I don't find the new work satisfying.

As for my work, I have eleven books readers can choose from with Celestial Dragon being my very first. With three near completion, I'm hoping 2013 will be a good year for me and I can add a few more under my belt.

4 comments:

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

You're right about the "paycheck." With the lag time between sales and remuneration, you can bearly tell that you don't hve a current release. The back list is our bread and butter. Looking forward to your big '13.

January Bain said...

Ciara, very helpful blog for new authors and those that have a back list. My first book of a series will be coming out in July this year and I always imagined that it would take at least 10 books to start to get some real recognition. You just confirmed what I've been thinking. Good luck with your new releases! You were the first author that I noticed at Champagne Books, by the way, so professional and such wonderful writing!!!

Big Mike said...

Yeah GG

I'm having similar problems. Been working on the same darn script for a year. Lord is it frustrating. Was doing two stories per year, now down to one. Does the word burn out come to mind (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year, 2008 and 2009

Jude Johnson said...

Love your work, Ciara, and thanks for the pep talk. It's hard to be patient sometimes.

~Jude
http://jude-johnson.com