Friday, February 24, 2012

Voice




Michael W. Davis

Davisstories.com





Once a month I participate with a local writer group to critique their work. Some have an excellent and unique rhythm and flow. I was listening to a few last week and it made me contemplate the uniqueness of each writer's voice.

Sure, some merge together into a drone of off key notes but in a few cases there are those that create a symphony in your mind. What's amazing is the uniqueness of each writer's tenor. There are several dozen authors that draw me away from reality to fictional images each time I read their passages and each of them is so distinctive in their voice that without seeing a name, I can recognized the hand print of their creator. I fine that astounding. Just for fun take a stack of you five or six favorite authors, place them in a bag, draw one out with closed eyes, open to any page and read. If the author is good after half a page you'll recognize the owner. If not I suggest you think twice about your next trip to the bookstore.

Michael W. Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year, 2008 & 2009

Shadow of Guilt, “To each crossing of paths, there is a reason.”
Blind Consent, “The answers are buried in the secrets of the past.”
Forgotten Children, “Only Sara knows the truth.”
Tainted Hero, “Sometimes good people do bad things.”
The Treasure, “A lonely heart can impair one’s judgment.”
Veil of Deception, “Sometimes truth cuts deeper than a lie.”

3 comments:

January Bain said...

A unique style of writing gives your audience something special to look forward to. Good blog!

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I often think of that voice as setting my story to music, rhythmically. Shakespeare comes to mind. St. John (Book of...), Edgar Allen Poe, Janet (Yonvonovitch)Stephen King and Dean Koontz...

Rhobin said...

I agree a strong voice helps carry a reader through a story. I haven't tried your challenge, you might be right, but your comments led to some thought. Such an original and identifiable voice has to have a distinct syntax. If the voice or syntax is so identifiable and prevalent in the author's work, does it add or take away from the story? And since it is a syntax, couldn't it easily be copied?