Friday, January 27, 2012

The “ah” affect




Michael W. Davis

Davisstories.com






There is nothing like the exhilaration of typing the last chapter, then page, then last word of a novel you've sculpted for months. I just completed my eight full-length story and I noticed two things this time.

First, it's getting harder to sit down and commit myself to the twenty weeks of isolation needed to create and live in my fiction world. Second, I still get that rush of bringing a new group of friends into the world. Not sure that will ever grow old.

Sometimes I complain to my wife, "OMG, will this thing never end?" yet at the instant I reach that final keystroke, I'm just so darn proud.

In a strange way it's similar to my kids. Sometimes their messes, push back, nights of not calling while we worried at home, and all the other pains of raising kids take a toll. Yet once grown you examine what they became and you beam with pride.

Yeah, something like that.

Michael W. Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year, 2008 & 2009

Shadow of Guilt, “To each crossing of paths, there is a reason.”
Blind Consent, “The answers are buried in the secrets of the past.”
Forgotten Children, “Only Sara knows the truth.”
Tainted Hero, “Sometimes good people do bad things.”
The Treasure, “A lonely heart can impair one’s judgment.”
Veil of Deception, “Sometimes truth cuts deeper than a lie.”


4 comments:

Rhobin said...

It is very hard to stay committed to writing. Distractions and life are happening all around drawing attention away from the process. Still, like you say, there is no greater thrill than completing a story.

January Bain said...

Congratulations, Micheal!

Jude Johnson said...

I wish I could isolate myself and just write! I have a spouse who does not understand in any way, shape, or form. Every time I think I have a nice two-hour chunk of time to work on writing and/or marketing, BAM! he schedules patients. I have talked until I am blue in the face. I am now going to leave the house and not take my phone when I need to write. Sheesh.

And yes indeed, the thrill of finishing a story is like no other. Congratulations, Mike!

~Jude
http://jude-johnson.com

Big Mike said...

Yes, spouses say they understand but how can they. They haven't held a hundred images in their minds trying to figure how best to create life within the pages of a book. Like doctors, cops, etc, writing can frustrate relationships.

BM