Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Season Greetings, Everyone,

I wanted to share with all of you what my characters in The Time Key (my book on time travel and my first foray into the realm of Science Fiction and my current novel–in-progress) have been thinking about this past month.

“You know what blows me away about our known universe. It’s how it’s so ideally suited for life as we know it. For example, if the protons in an atom were just 0.2 more massive than they actually are, they would be unstable and decay into smaller particles. Atoms would not exist and neither would we! If gravity were just slightly more powerful, the consequences would be nearly as grave. It would cause stars to run through their fuel at a fraction of the time and sputter out before life as we know it had a chance to evolve. In other words, the universe is life-friendly. Too many coincidences to be mere accidents according to many scientists.”

She picked up on his expansive thought-wave. “It’s like the universe is adapted specifically for us, not the other way around. This colossal fluke, deepest mystery, or stardust magic or whatever you want to call it is paradoxically our biggest headache in physics. And this is why so many of us are thinking that there must be multiverses out there, to account for ours being so perfect for us. But, of course, this cannot be proved. Maybe it would just be easier to think there is a benevolent creator that did all this just for us.” She smiled at him in wonder, feeling the pure magic of the moment engulf her in its sweetness. Never before had she truly experienced the profound insight to life that this man in front of her invoked. How had she gotten so lucky. . .

Wishing all of you the very best of the holiday season and a warm thank you for your camaraderie on The Writer Vineyard this past year! It has meant a lot to me.

Best,
January Bain

Forever Man July 2012
Champagne Books
First in the Forever Series
www.januarybain.ca

10 comments:

Rhobin said...

Scientists and their speculations, theories, and proofs provide so much interesting fodder for stories.

January Bain said...

That they do, Rhobin, thanks for responding and all the best of the season to you!

January Bain said...

PS, I'm also a Leo!

Kimberly Krey said...

Oooh, beautiful! Truly beautiful! I'm so glad you shared that, and thrilled to have stumbled onto it. That blurb echoed my thoughts of recent, and I loved the way you expressed them!

January Bain said...

Thanks so much Kimberly, you made my day!!! Best, January

CC Kaufman said...

Thank you January! I enjoy reading your comments.I happen to be more of a chaos type...it allows for more room to speculate! Good holiday to you.

January Bain said...

Thank you CC! All the best of the season to you.

Julie Eberhart Painter said...

I'm with you, January. Science is proving the existance of a creator, whom I refer to as the Divine Catalyst.

If anyone has seen the pictures of the 300 billion galaxies Hubble has photographed/documented, and we know there are more it hasn't seen yet, how can we think we are an accident, or alone, or should have big self important egos at the expense of others.

TKToppin said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Good luck on its completion, and I look forward reading it!!! Have a wonderful Christmas.

January Bain said...

Hi TK, I am so enthralled with your book, The Lancaster Rule!!! Was up too late reading it last night and I'm a little tired today. Will finish it this weekend.

Thanks for all the great comments about my post. Much appreciated!!!!