Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Why Be Thankful?

Why Be Thankful?

Writing this in advance since the third is my day to go to Ironwood, 68 miles away, to get my shot in the eye, which keeps me off the computer. I can copy and paste my contribution to the blog in the morning before leaving. Although I do manage to go to Walmart afterward, since our little village lacks anything similar for shopping. Hey, with one eye free of a bandage I can still shop--which is something to be thankful for. .
Halloween is over until 2011, We got exactly 0 trick or treaters, but then we don’t live on a street with a sidewalk. My step-daughter and her husband who just moved into town from Idaho onto a street with sidewalks got over 100 of them. They felt it was a good way celebrate their first meeting at a Halloween party in Alaska, 30 years ago. Since he’s from Tennessee and she’s from California they even remember how cold it was that night--20 below zero. They’re great kids (well, they ARE younger the the Viking and I). I’m thankful they decided to live here for most of the year. (They take a lot of trips.)
Next up is Thanksgiving. I’m so pleased we actually have relatives here to spend it with this year. When the Viking’s brother was still alive, we always spent it with them. Since they had ten kids (who did a lot of the cooking) it was a wonderful family occasion . But after his brother died, they usually don’t all get together.
I am not about to cook a traditional dinner like that any more, so last year we had Thanksgiving dinner provided by the Little Brothers, Friends of the Elderly, in the Methodist Church basement. It was surprisingly warm and friendly since so many of those we know, mostly as old as we are, were there as well to celebrate the occasion with us.
This year is till up in the air, but My stepdaughter’s birthday is the 26, the day after Thanksgiving, so maybe we’ll celebrate then. Plus we always have the Little Brothers to fall back on. What a wonderful group they are. They also deliver the meal to those who are housebound. Makes me realize how fortunate we are that we live in a place where people still care about people. The meal is free, but those who can afford to do so, donate to the organization. I feel thankful we also have the means to give them a donation.
As I get older I realize more and more that the word thanksgiving means just that--reminding us no matter how many troubles we have, most of us also can find much to be thankful for.
Are you a writer recovering from a story being rejected? Be thankful you’re talented and well enough to write another story that might be accepted.
Recovering from an illness? That’s good news in itself.
Suffering from physical and mental problems that recur? Be thankful for the grace periods in between.
If you’re chronically ill or financially strapped, I know it may be terribly difficult to find anything to be thankful for. But try. A beautiful day or a colorful sunset. A full moon. A baby’s smile. A dog’s unconditional love. A purring cat. Little pieces of beauty are all around, so that any of us can be thankful for them if only momentarily. Because being thankful gives you a temporary lift of spirit, that’s something we all need.
And as writers, isn’t it a wonderful feeling when you finish a book? A real accomplishment. Not everyone can write a book, and many who start one, never finish it. If a publisher wants the book--whoo boy! But even if that doesn’t happen, be thankful you’ve learned something by finishing it. Because you do. And that’s something to be thankful for.
At the moment I’m writing the first book in a trilogy that’s intended for Champagne. I‘m thankful that Ellen has agreed to look at it when it’s done. Plus extremely grateful that ideas still spin around in my head for future stories. So yes, I realize I have a great deal to be thankful for. Just hope I can remember that on those dats that aren't so great. Jane

1 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Thank you for your post, Jane. It did make me realize everything I should be thankful for. Now, I'm anxious for T-day. Can't wait to get together with my huge-overflowing, loud family again.

I hope your eye-visit goes well.