Tuesday, October 26, 2010

So Close to Halloween

It's almost Halloween. I love this holiday. Kids dress up as their favorite character and then get some treats. It's time for fun shivers and interesting delights. It's always been one of my favorites. Of course, I'm the type that loves a scare. It's a break from reality. I think we all need a few of those.

One of my favorite memories was playing hide-n-seek in a cemetery on Halloween night. The cemetery was one in Fairview, NC. A few family members and I decided to go play. It turns out some kids who lived at the end of the road had the same idea. It was surprising to find extra shadows and unfamiliar faces hiding around the headstones. The night had a few screams and lots of laughs.

This year I am dressing up as the grim reaper. The plastic scythe should make it easier to corral the children. My husband has also issued a candy tax. Every so often he gets a piece of candy for taking us around the town. Oh, and we make him dress up too. No, he's not too old. He's too old to go door to door asking for candy, not too old to dress up. He will be my horny devil this year. Get your minds out of the gutter. He will be wearing horns.

I suppose my love of the dark and mysterious has made it into my writing. I tend to find the fantastic hiding in the corners of my mind. When I'm lucky, they come out to play. I also enjoy a romance with the chills. Mysterious strangers that may or may not be human. Haunted houses, sword toting heroes, gun wielding villains, bad boys and even a few bad girls lurk in the pages. It's all for fun and for that moment of surprise.

With that note, I will leave you. I hope everyone has a wonderful Halloween. And at least one pleasant surprise.

You can visit me at
WWW.JLMcCale.com
WWW.JenniferCloud.com

1 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Happy Halloween! I'm dressing my eight-month old as a lady bug. I tried the outfit on her; and it's a little big but soooo cute. Her antenna flop down around her head like little puppy dog ears, and she crawls around the floor in, making it even cuter.