Friday, October 8, 2010

Self Promotion – is it necessary?




Michael W. Davis

Davisstories.com





Maybe not if you’re with one of the big eight and sell half a million copies of your novels, but how many of us will that apply too? Probably only a few percent. In fact, one well-known national big eight author lives in my community and I know he actually attends signings at local boutiques and tourist stores. Now, maybe that’s for fun, maybe not, but I do know with the small independent publishers, like the majority of us are lucky enough to be cared for by, you MUST promote.

Was I shouting there? Good, cause without self-promotion, you’ll go no were, except out the door. Why should a publisher take a risk with ya if you’re not willing to put yourself out there? Oh, your shy, is that the problem? Then you’re not looking at it right. Approach it like me. It’s an opportunity to get out there and meet new people, ones that actually care about what ya say.

But which of the many promotional activities should you spend your time on? Boy, that is a problem. That’s why over the passed two years I’ve keep statistics on 22 promotional avenues I have tried and evaluated which worked for me and which did not. Like to see a list of my best and worse? Ok, go to 1stturningpoint.com on 10/21, 10/28, and 11/3 and you can read a three-part post on what I’ve learned. Why not post it here on our own TWV site? Love to but I commitment with the lovely lady over there, but I can refer ya, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, hopefully, oh, just go read it (g).




Big Mike
Michael W. Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year, 2008

Blind Consent, “The answers are buried in the secrets of the past.”
Forgotten Children, “Only Sara knows the truth.”
Tainted Hero, “Sometimes good people do bad things.”
The Treasure, “A lonely heart can impair one’s judgment.”
Veil of Deception, “Sometimes the truth cuts deeper than a lie.”

0 comments: