Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Post-Release Bliss

Warning: This blog contains expressions of extreme sentimentality

This past week I experienced my very first book release. It was a dream come true, a culmination of over twelve years of hard work. I feared, after the excitement of being offered a publishing contract, that it would be slightly anti-climactic, but it was, in fact, the opposite. I felt like I was floating on a cloud all day, and kept pinching myself to make sure I was really awake.

I didn’t know, when I first signed that contract back in December, that publication would only be the beginning. I was not at all prepared for the flood of gratitude and yes, love, for these new friends that are quickly becoming a second family to me. I am daily in awe over the amount of support I’ve encountered in the Champagne community and the various websites dedicated to bringing exposure to new authors. Between jobs, kids and writing, so many of you still take the time to read each other’s blogs, interviews and reviews, to offer advice, to commiserate failures or celebrate successes. The fact that I am relatively new to the publishing world has not excluded me from all of this support in the slightest. I’ve been welcomed with open arms and definitely feel like I have a solid place among you. This week especially was very eye-opening to me, to witness the turnout to release-related events anywhere from the Romance Studio’s October Release Party to Night Owl’s hosting of my blog. Several of you have invited me to guest blog or interview on your own sites, and that along with the gracious invitations to partake in free exposure on a number of book websites have left me overwhelmed with gratitude.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to the Champagne administrators and writers, and to the fine folks at numerous author-supporting websites. Thank you for welcoming me, helping me out when I needed it, and supporting me. I will try to return the favor whenever I can, but I don’t think I’m nearly as good as some of you are at juggling writing, working and family with squeezing in time to comment on a blog or interview. But you’ve certainly motivated me to improve. I’m looking forward to meeting and connecting with more of you, and I must say it’s a wonderful feeling being part of a writing community for the first time.

All right, enough of this maudlin gushing! My book is out, and I’m THRILLED!!!!

http://champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=239

www.ashleyjbarnard.com

3 comments:

Big Mike said...

Oh, Ashley. You make an old man choke up. We luv you too, Girl.

I do relate to the first release Euphemia. And although I'll now up to release of my eighth story, I still get a special tingling somewhere in my body, I'm just so old I can't triangulate where its coming from (g).

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year, (2008 and 2009)

Ashley Barnard said...

Ha, ha -- this is what I'm talking about though - here it is first thing in the morning and you're already on here checking on your little lambs. : ) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Jude Johnson said...

WOOT! I am so excited for you! I look forward to reading Shadow Fox, Ashley. The snippets so far have been tantalizing.

~Jude Johnson
(www.scorchedhawkpress.com)