Thursday, September 30, 2010

You Don't See That Every Day


Everybody loves a nice drive, right? Okay, we won't count commuting, which can be a real drag. I've developed my driving skills and overcome my fear of highways while ferrying my college-age kids to college every second weekend. Once I even drove to Buffalo by myself!

While I use the solitary drives to think about my next book, I keep my eyes peeled for obstacles and crazy drivers. At times, I can't help noticing some weird and wonderful sights near the road.

Some things I've seen while driving our fair province's highways:

A white 1954 Bentley
A beachball
A car full of nuns
Several stray single shoes
A Canada Goose that flew so close to the car we made eye contact
An enormous harvest moon
Frankenstein eating a Whopper
A movie set
Two giraffes
A wolf
A full grown tiger in the back seat of a Ford Focus hatchback

You'll have to trust me. After all, I couldn't always take pictures from behind the wheel!

What memorable things have you seen while driving?

Sandra Cormier is the author of Bad Ice, a hockey romantic suspense.

4 comments:

Big Mike said...

Nice post. My most memorable sight (but it was yucky) was went the military moved me to Monterey, CA for a 1 yr assignment. While we passed the local fairgrounds a hippie guy was stripped down to the buff on the road side of his van (yes, painted with anti establishment icons). Now that was ugly.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year (2008 & 2009)

Chumplet - Sandra Cormier said...

Whoa! I'll bet a lot of parents frantically covered their kids' eyes!

Word verification: potwet. How appropot.

Jude Johnson said...

"A full grown tiger in the back seat of a Ford Focus hatchback."

Wow! Well, at least the tiger's claws weren't tearing up the Bentley's leather seats. LOL

I love driving. Used to drive the 950 miles home from college by myself all the time. Now the jaunts are back and forth of only 300 miles, but it still allows for quiet time to plot and imagine dialogue.

Great post, Sandra!

~Jude Johnson
(www.ScorchedHawkPress.com)

Chumplet - Sandra Cormier said...

Thanks, Jude.

At first I thought the tiger was a large Newfoundland dog, but when it presented its profile, I was astounded. I was right behind it, and alas, no camera.