Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Where do you come up with these things?"

That, my dear readers, is the most common question I get about my writing. I'm not exactly surrounded by people that are fervent lovers of fantasy, so I rarely get a "wow, Diana, that's awesome," or a "great job, Diana." I get, "where do you come up with these things?" And to top it off, that question, more often than not, comes hand-in-hand with the raised and wrinkled eye-brows.

Seriously, people. Where does any writer get any idea? Where did people get the idea that jumping out of an airplane might be fun? (hehe, I did that). Where did Frank Baum come up with The WIzard of Oz? WHO CARES? They're great ideas!

I get the strangest ideas from TV shows, other books, pictures, nature, etc. Any object you put in front of me can birth a myriad of ideas and a lot of times, they have nothing to do with that object. Give me a picture of a fish and I'll tell you a story about goblins and toads. Show me a surgery and I'll give you a dinosaur tale. Seriously, it's odd but does it really matter? Without the imaginations and oddities of writers, you'd have nothing to watch on TV. There would be no movie theatres and, shoot, kids wouldn't be any fun.

Some ideas come in bits and pieces while others come in a wave. For example, ideas for my book to be published in '11, Zirconya: The Sage of Aluh'Nehn, came from all sorts of places and a little at a time while my current work in progress, The Dragon Cager, came in a wave. BOOM! idea. BOOM! Nearly an entire book written in a very short amount of time...and, it's good!

SO, all you writers out there, I want to ask, is it the same for us all? Where do you get your ideas?

6 comments:

Allison Knight said...

Great question Diana. I get my ideas also from the weirdest places. I can be reading a book, and I just seem to know if you twisted the plot a little bit this way, or that... I get ideas from music, (Heartsong came from the last act of an opera), from a bit in the newspaper, even from comments by other people. Two books resulted from dreams. I guess it's just imagination having a ball.

LCMelendez said...

Uhm, well I normally get my inspirations from dreams or I'll just look at a cool picture and want to know what the story is behind it. Or sometimes I'll hear a song and just come up with a story to it, I did that with a poem I wrote. Lol.

I was on a bus one time and then had an idea regarding Elements and magic(A fantasy, lol, so basically I take inspiration from anything and everything around me!

Jude Johnson said...

I get the "where do you come up with this stuff?" all the time. Inspiration can come from anything: music, a movie scene, headlines, but mostly for me just observations of people around me. I was in Tombstone for a re-enactment/reading of the inquest into the shootings at the OK Corral, and watching some of the folks in the crowd respond to the actors was priceless. There's a murder mystery brewing in the future with that...

Anonymous said...

Totally random stuff. Like in Latin class, we translated a story about a slave earning a medal for protecting his queen, and I was just like, she's the queen, she should be protecting them. And just from that, it's blossomed into a huge storyline.

Diana Ilinca said...

thanks for all your responses :) it's always nice to know someone if reading your stuff haha!

MandyB said...

The idea for my first novel was the result of my ranting on about being taken for granted. It developed into a story about an alternative future world. My second novel is based on a life long interest I have on re-incarnation. As you say ideas come from everything & everywhere. No two are alike and that's why readers read.
MandyB
mandyevebarnett@wordpress.com