Thursday, August 12, 2010

No Short Cuts!



I really enjoyed Donica's post on larger heroines. (Note to authors: No plus sized heroine would EVER get excited about sitting in a Jaguar or a Porsche or any other teeny, tiny sports car – real women need real vehicles)

The problem, of course, was that the author used a specific number (in this case, size) to describe her heroine.

I, too, have an issue with specific numbers. My pet peeve centers around the definition of rich, especially fantasy rich. I live in a major city. Fantasy rich, for me, is when the hero can buy any type of house in any neighborhood he wants. A million dollars is not going to cut it, folks. So telling me he's a millionaire isn't going to make me all weak in the knees. You gotta do more.

Actually do more even if you tell me he's a gazillionaire. If the only thing your readers remember about your characters is his bank account or her dress size, you have problems. I write about billionaires because, in my fantasies, I don't like to worry about the rent. It also allows me to take my readers to exotic places and do some cool things. I've never had a hero described by a reviewer or reader as a billionaire. It is the least interesting aspect of his personality.

No cheating, people! All plus-sized gals are not the same. All billionaires are not the same. Create wonderful, three-dimensional characters we will never forget. I know you can do it!


$


Kimber Chin is sharing one of her stories for free on http://businessromance.com/

3 comments:

Big Mike said...

I agree Kim. Creating diverse and unique characters is a lot of work, but the readers really enjoy it, as I do when I read, its why I struggle to make my H/H so different. Well, except the guy always loves women and is a dragon slayer (like me, g) and the lady always loves men and needs em in her live. Hey, I can dream right?

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the Year, (2008 and 2009)

Jude Johnson said...

Well said, Kim. But I think a Jaguar is still a fine-looking car for any woman to drive and blow past the radar traps. (wink wink)

I have a tough time showing my antagonist's good qualities. I don't want Snidely Whiplash of course, but trying to shed light on a psychopath's positive qualities has been a real challenge for me. How do you do it?

~Jude

Ciara Gold said...

Great question, Jude and I agree, that's a tough one. I had the same difficulty with my fiend in the wip I'm working on now.

And Kimber, great pep talk. Most of my heros aren't all that wealthy. The hero I'm working on is flat broke with no skills. After all, he just arrived in the future from the tenth century and that folks has been quite a challenge. Ah well, off to get him a job.