Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Black Moment just got blacker

I just finished the sequel to On the Silver Edge of Time, my Viking time-travel and I was so excited. I'd set a goal for myself to finish before school and I accomplished my goal. After the high of success wore off a bit, something kept niggling at me. In fact, it kept me awake at night and I realized the ending wasn't quite right. I just couldn't really pinpoint why.

And then it hit me.

I tried to summarize my black moment, that scene where all hell breaks loose and the plot crescendos to a fever pitch and --- nothing. Nada. I'd managed to end my book without a black moment. Argggg. More sleepless nights and finally I figured out how to take away the one thing my heroine wanted most and still save the day. I'm still rewriting, but I'm close to finishing the manuscript yet again and this time hopefully with a more powerful conclusion.

I've read and enjoyed books that didn't really have a dramatic black moment, but they just don't have the same oomph as a book that does. The thing that keeps me reading and rereading books is the tension between hero and heroine. And when the tension builds until it finally explodes, the HEA seems just that much more satisfying. That's what I strive for when I write and that's what I look for in my favorite books.

So, what keeps you reading?  What element do you like best in the books you read?

3 comments:

Big Mike said...

Yes, I love the finale fireworks in a book, like in blade runner when the Nexus four has killed every one, and in the last moment of his life saves Harrison Ford. When I write my finale chapter(s), my heart quickens, my breath accelerates, oh do I love those "holy crap" moments.

Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
Author of the year, 2008/2009

Ciara Gold said...

Oh, I loved Blade Runner. It's been awhile since I watched that one. I'll have to dig it out of the stack. Arg, still trying to figure out the "oh crap" moment, but I'm close.

Jude Johnson said...

I'm with you, Big Mike. When I'm writing that "POW! Right in the kisser" scene, I can't move my fingers fast enough. That tension you write of, Ciara, is the driving force behind all memorable books for me. That and the sense of intense "and THEN what happened?" curiosity.

I just wish I could figure out how to tap into that more easily, but I guess that's part of what makes a writer strive to constantly improve, eh?

LOVED Blade Runner, too!