Thursday, July 29, 2010

Circle of Friends

What goes around comes around and there's no other place like the family of writers where this is more true. I started a blog journey on Tuesday on my own blog to thank each person/writer who has personally had a hand in shaping my career. I plan to post one a week until I've listed everyone I can think of. I'm hopeful others will pick up the idea and run with it.

Writers are so blessed. We all share a universal need to see each other succeed. Wow. That's really profound when you think about it. Folks ask all the time what author influenced you to write and most will list there favorite authors as inspiration. I do have one of those. My first romance was Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss and after reading this amazing story, I was hooked on romance. I wrote my first under-the-bed romance when I was twenty using an electric Brother's typewriter. All 400 pages sit in a box on a shelf overlooking my computer. I have no desire to re-read it - yet. Maybe once I'm retired. After that, I wrote a lot of first chapters and nothing more.

A friend who is now a published author gave me the incentive to take that chapter and turn it into a full novel. After that, I discovered a whole community of friends who shared the same passion. Sure - I can thank Woodiwiss for turning me on to romance, but that's where her influence stops and a whole circle of writer friends take over. I guess this is my general thank you to all of you.  So - do you have a similar story? Are you a part of this wonderful family? If so, shout it out.

3 comments:

Diana Ilinca said...

I was drawn into the fantasy world by the story, The Bride to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. I read it in elementary school and it remains my favorite story to this day. Though, as you said in your post, that influence stopped and a whole circle of writer friends has taken over since then.
Thank you, writer friends. :)

Ciara Gold said...

I'm not familiar with that book so I'm putting it on my library list to look up. Thanks.

And yes, it's funny how writing has overwhelmed my need to read. I'm trying hard to find a healthy balance, but the friendships I've made are the best ever.

Wajiha said...

I'll definitely look for the book! Thanks:)