Friday, January 18, 2008

The Flow of Words

It's amazing how some days I can sit in front of the computer and words flow from my mind and fill the pages with a speed and ease that amazes me. Other days, every phrase I write is like pulling teeth without sedation. It's grueling and painful -- often a waste of time. But at least I have something to show for my efforts and what I've written may be a guide for what I write tomorrow. Most of my writing experiences fall somewhere between the two extremes.

What is it that causes the juices to flow, the story to unfold on the pages like a movie flashing across a screen? I've given it a lot of thought lately and believe I've found the answer -- the one that fits me.

First, I have to be totally indebted to the story and its characters. I can't just like it, I have to love it. If I don't, I might as well set it aside.

Second, I have to know and love my characters, believe in them and know they'll be able to achieve their goals. Secondary characters must be as colorful as the hero and heroine.

Third, the road map (plot) must be pretty well fixed in my mind. Not than I'm above changing it as I go along if something more interesting pops into my head.

Fourth, and very important, is my inner peace. If I'm experiencing family issues, health problems, upset routine, etc., they must be resolved or at least dealt with before my mind will function as I like.

Having an interruption in writing is not always bad. It can be a time for planning, perking, steeping stories in our heads so that when we can write again, those words will flow like water over an opened dam.

Lately I've been adjusting to a new routine and facing family issues. I've been perking and am gearing up to start pouring those words onto paper.

Happy reading and writing!

Linda

2 comments:

Candace Morehouse said...

Linda,
I feel exactly the same way about the process of writing. I, too, must love the book and the characters or it will never get finished (witness the dozen or so manuscripts I started once upon a time that sit and wither in "My documents").
Great post!
Candace

Linda LaRoque said...

Thanks, Candace. Have you ever been able to go back and pick up one of documents and change it to where you love it? It's a nice thought. Would be great if it worked.
Linda